Monday, April 14, 2008

Those Annoying TV Pop-up Ads!



“Night of the Hurdling Curdling Death Tues. Apr 6 8 PM”

It started about ten years ago. TNT began placing its logo in the lower right hand corner of the TV. A sheer, onion skin logo. I remember being annoyed when I first saw it. It distracted me from the program. But I let it slide, figuring that Ted Turner needed to label things that are his, the same way Trump has to label everything that belongs to him.

Soon after, other networks decided to put onion skin labels in the corner too. We all got used to it and trained our eyes not to notice them.

Then some network got the idea of announcing the title of the program you were watching on onions skins in the left lower corner. “You are watching Night of the Living Dead on the SciFi Channel”. I figured that was to benefit people who fell into three categories: 1. People who were distracted by someone for a moment and turned back to the TV having completely lost track of what show they were watching. 2. People who were walking behind the couch while someone else channel surfed and the show title would cause them to say, “Wait, I wanna see that a minute.” 3. People who had fallen asleep in front of the TV and upon waking would need to know immediately what program they were missing.

The next phase of the onion skin pop-up labeling was to advertise what the next show would be. Prior to this, the onion skin labels were just identifying the channel and the show, now they were advertising the next show before I was through watching this one. It wasn’t enough that I had to mute through eight minutes of commercials every six minutes, now they were cheating by adding thin strips of advertising for Flavor of Love right over kids’ face who was crying at the height of a dramatic scene.

Then, another Ad Exec thought, well hell, why just advertise the next show? Let’s advertise upcoming shows! I have a clear memory of watching a Christmas special on USA and while the chorus was singing, there was a strip ad for the movie “Race with the Devil at 8 PM Next Tuesday”. I really don’t want to see ads for satanic movies in the middle of ‘O Come All Ye Faithful’. It just proves that the strip ads appear according to a time schedule without regard to how incongruent they may be to the program they are defacing.

Recently, I have seen ads for programs that are on at the same time as the one I’m watching. “Now Showing: Gomez vs. Alverez on HBO Boxing”. This confuses me. Do they want me to stay with the show I’m watching or turn to another one on a different channel - is it better than what I’m watching now? Do they want me to turn back to this channel for the next show on this channel, or should I stay with the other channel?

Apparently people are not paying enough attention to the onion skin ads, so now they have to animate them.

Case in point. This past weekend I was watching a 1940’s movie with Barbara Stanwyck and John Payne. She’s very short. He was holding her by the shoulders, her eyes were smoldering in that film noir way and he began to lean in for the big kiss, when a small airplane shot out from her ear and circled the screen, heading towards the bottom left corner where the image of King Kong on the Empire State building had appeared. The plane zoomed him and he batted it away as another plane came from behind her head, now kissing John Payne, and flew towards King Kong with little machine guns flares shooting at him all the way. The strip ad told me King Kong was showing on that channel at 9 PM, obviously something I needed to know at exactly that moment.

If TV execs are trying to get us to watch more of their programming, they need to throttle back on these ever increasing pop-up ads. I never watch TNT, USA or BET anymore because they load their programs with so much pop-up advertising, it really ruins your ability to get lost in the story, which is why you turned it on in the first place.

1 comment:

  1. i am getting sick and tired of these banners over the programs, too. they've been pissing me off now for some time.
    i don't need to know what show i'm watching when i'm watching it.
    i don't want to see a little person on my screen waving at me.
    i don't want to see or hear a race car driving across my screen.
    i don't want bill, from the blue collar tour, to pause the show i'm watching, with his remote, to tell me about his new show ...
    how do we protest this crap. every station does it.

    ReplyDelete